Milano - Sforza Castle
Castello Sforzesco official website: www.milanocastello.it
The Castello Sforzesco, the Sforza Castle, is one of the main symbols of Milan and its history. It was built in the fifteenth century by Francesco Sforza, recently became Duke of Milan, on the remains of a previous fortification
After the death of Duke Filippo Maria (1447) the new Ambrosian Republic ordered the complete destruction of the fortress, which fortunately happened only partially. In 1450, the captain of fortune Francesco Sforza took possession of the fortress, beginning the reconstruction.
The castle construction
Initially the works were entrusted to Giovanni da Milano and, in 1451, the works continued under the direction of Jacopo da Cortona. In 1452 the prince hired the Florentine architect Filarete for the construction and decoration of the median tower of the main façade, which began only two years later under the guidance of Bartolomeo Gadio da Cremona. On the death of Francesco Sforza (1466), his son Galeazzo Maria succeeded him and he proceeded to continue the works entrusting the internal part to the architect Benedetto Ferrini,
The Castle today
The current building that traces the original fourteenth century construction while maintaining the moat (not flooded, dating back to the Spaniards) has a square plan with sides 200 meters long with a tower at each corner
The interior is divided into three distinct areas / courtyards: the parade ground that housed the troops stationed, in the middle between the courtyard of the “rocchetta” (the innermost and impregnable part of the “maschio”, where the lords took refuge in case of attack ) and the ducal court which constituted the actual stately residence
Today this extraordinary structure houses museums and cultural institutions, as well as numerous temporary exhibitions.
Just to name a few, here are hosted: the Historical Archive, the Vinciana Collection, the Pinacoteca del Castello.
How to reach the Castello Sforzesco from the B&B I Castagni Malpensa
- By Train
From the railway station of Casorate Sempione take the Domodossola – Milan line, track 3, to Milan – Porta Garibaldi, then METROPOLITANA Green line (M2): stop Lanza e Cadorna FN
- By Car
Take the motorway to Gallarate, follow for MILANO CENTRO, park at LAMPUGNANO and from there take the METRO Red line (M1): Cairoli and Cadorna FN stops